Looking for the perfect warm and comforting meal on a cold night? Try these Cream Cheese, Caramelized Onion, and Yukon Gold Potato Blintzes. This crispy, warm, and cheesy dish, we made in partnership with the Culinary Institute of America, is not only delicious but also lactose-free and made more sustainably with our animal-free cream cheese.
What are Blintzes?
Blintzes are a traditional Eastern European dish often served for brunch or dinner. They are thin crepes that can be made with either a sweet or savory filling and then rolled up and fried or baked. The filling for sweet blintzes might be made from cottage cheese, ricotta, or cream cheese mixed with sugar and fruit, while savory blintzes can be filled with meat, vegetables, or potatoes. Blintzes are perfect to make in big batches and freeze for later.
What is animal-free cream cheese?
At Perfect Day, we’ve partnered with nature to make the things we love while using fewer resources. We create animal-free dairy protein similar to the protein in cow’s milk but are made without a single cow, thanks to precision fermentation.
The process begins with our tiny partners, microflora, which are organisms that naturally ferment in the wild and produce large amounts of protein through fermentation. We help them adopt the genetic instructions to make cow whey protein. In a fermentation tank, the microflora ferments a broth of plant sugars and vitamins, producing non-animal whey protein that is nature-identical to whey that comes from cows. Imagine a brewery, but instead of beer, we’re brewing milk protein. Using gold-standard dairy industry technology, the protein is safely filtered, and we’re left with a pure whey protein that’s identical to the dairy protein that’s been consumed for generations. It’s identical to the classic. We just got there a different way.
Our animal-free dairy is lactose-free, and has all the benefits of traditional dairy but is also cholesterol-free, hormone-free, and antibiotic-free.
We partner with retail brands and food service manufacturers to create various products with our animal-free dairy such as protein powder, ice cream, gelato, milk, chocolate, and cream cheese. Our partners, Modern Kitchen and Nurishh make delicious animal-free cream cheese!
Makes 10 Blintzes
For The Blintz Dough
½ cup Water
1 cup Flour
Perfect Day Egg Replacer or 4 Eggs
½ tsp. Corn Starch
¼ tsp. Salt
1 tbsp. Sugar
4 tbsp. Vegan Butter
For The Filling
3 Yukon Gold Potatoes
1 cup Celery
2 tbsp. Dill
2 tbsp. Green Onions
For The Horseradish Sauce
4 tbsp. Horseradish
- To make the blintz batter add milk, water, egg replacer, flour, cornstarch, sugar, salt, and butter to a blender and blend on high, then set aside
- To make the filling gently crush boiled and peeled potatoes with a fork, and add caramelized onions, cream cheese, celery, dill, and green onions
- Add salt and pepper to taste to the filling
- Make horseradish sauce by whisking cream cheese, and slowly adding in milk to achieve a sauce texture
- Add in horseradish and season to taste with salt and pepper
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat and spray cooking spray
- To make the blintz pour about ¼ cup of batter onto the pan, spreading it to cover the bottom of the pan
- Cook for about a minute or until the surface looks dry, then flip and briefly cook the other side for about 30 seconds
- Transfer to a plate and repeat for the remaining batter
- Scoop about 3 to 4 tablespoons onto the middle of each blintz, keeping an inch around the edges
- Fold the edges over the filling, then fold in both sides and roll into a small rectangle
- Heat butter in a nonstick pan until it’s foaming, then sear the blintzes until golden brown on all sides
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of horseradish sauce on a plate and put the blintz on top
- Top each blintz with a spoonful of vegan caviar and microgreens (optional)
- Serve warm
We’d love to hear your thoughts!
Your email address will not be shared.