Looking for an easy holiday dessert to make? Here are three festive, delicious and simple to make treats: Cream Cheese Pound Cake, Cherry Cheesecake Brownie Bars and Basil Ice Cream. Made with our animal-free, lactose-free cream cheese, you can enjoy these indulgent desserts while also being kinder to the planet.
What is animal-free cream cheese?
At Perfect Day, we’ve partnered with nature to make the things we love while using fewer resources. We create animal-free dairy protein similar to the protein in cow’s milk but are made without a single cow, thanks to precision fermentation.
The process begins with our tiny partners, microflora, which are organisms that naturally ferment in the wild and produce large amounts of protein through fermentation. We help them adopt the genetic instructions to make cow whey protein. In a fermentation tank, the microflora ferments a broth of plant sugars and vitamins, producing non-animal whey protein that is nature-identical to whey that comes from cows. Imagine a brewery, but instead of beer, we’re brewing milk protein. Using gold-standard dairy industry technology, the protein is safely filtered, and we’re left with a pure whey protein that’s identical to the dairy protein that’s been consumed for generations. It’s identical to the classic. We just got there a different way.
Our animal-free dairy is lactose-free, has all the benefits of traditional dairy but is also cholesterol-free, hormone-free and antibiotic-free.
We partner with retail brands and food service manufacturers to create various products with our animal-free dairy such as protein powder, ice cream, gelato, milk, chocolate, and cream cheese. Our partners, Modern Kitchen and Nurishh make delicious animal-free cream cheese!
Cream Cheese Pound Cake
Made in partnership with The Culinary Institute of America, this gorgeous pound cake has a few secret ingredients for a moist, dense cake every time. The addition of Perfect Day’s animal-free cream cheese, egg replacer and milk makes this pound cake climate-friendly and so delicious. This pound cake made with Perfect cream cheese is delicious on its own or is a perfect blank canvas to add any of your favorite flavors and toppings.
Perfect Day Egg Replacer or 6 Eggs
3 cups Flour
½ tsp. Baking Powder
2 tsp. Salt
3 Sticks (340 g) Butter
3 cups Sugar
1 tsp. Lemon Zest
1 tsp. Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325° F
- Line a 10-inch pan with oiled parchment paper
- In a large bowl, sift flour and add baking powder, egg replacer or eggs, salt, butter, sugar, cream cheese, lemon zest, and vanilla.
- Mix on high speed, scraping the sides of the bowl periodically until smooth
- Transfer to the lined pan and bake for about one hour or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean
- Cool the pound cake completely before serving with your favorite toppings
Cherry Cheesecake Brownie Bars
Made in partnership with The Culinary Institute of America, these Cherry Cheesecake Brownie Bars combine rich fudgy brownies with a creamy cheesecake and a sweet-tart cherry pie topping. They’re decadent and become even more delicious when we realize how much more sustainably they’re made.
For Cheesecake Layer
1 Egg or Perfect Day Egg Replacer
1/2 cup Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
½ tsp. Baking Powder
½ tsp. Salt
For Brownie Layer
Brownie Mix (made according to package)
For Cherry Layer
1 can Cherry Pie Filling
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Spray a 9×13 inch pan and line it with parchment paper
- In a mixer bowl add cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, baking powder and salt
- Mix on high speed, periodically scraping the sides of the bowl until it’s completely smooth
- In another medium bowl, add brownie mix, and required ingredients
- Stir until it is completely mixed
- Spread the brownie batter on the bottom of the pan
- Next layer the cheesecake mixture on top of the brownie batter
- Spoon cherry pie filling over the cheesecake mixture using a palette knife
- Swirl through all the layers to create a marble effect
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, testing with a skewer to make sure the brownie layer is cooked
- Allow the cherry cheesecake brownies to cool to room temperature
- Chill in the fridge for at least one hour before serving
Basil Ice Cream
For her episode in our Changing Courses series, Chef Allison Osorio of School of Quenelle made this rich, creamy Basil Ice Cream using Perfect Day milk and cream cheese. This must-try frozen treat is a testament to her creativity in the kitchen.
2 Cups of Loosely Packed Fresh Basil Leaves
130 g Granulated Sugar
50 g Dextrose Powder
3 g Ice Cream Stabilizer
2 g Salt
50 g Coconut Oil
- In a medium pot, heat milk and basil leaves to 40°C
- Turn off heat and let steep for 10 minutes
- Use an immersion blender to break up the leaves and give a green tint to the milk
- Strain milk to remove basil leaves and place milk back in the pot
- Add sugar, salt and stabilizer to a bowl and mix well
- Add dextrose powder to the pot while whisking
- Heat base to 83°C and strain
- Set base in an ice bath to cool
- Once the ice cream base has cooled, add cream cheese and blend with an immersion blender until smooth
- With the immersion blender still on, gently add in coconut oil
- Let the base mature in the fridge for 6-12 hours and then freeze in an ice cream maker of choice
- Add toppings as desired and serve
We’d love to hear your thoughts!
Your email address will not be shared.